Sunday, May 31, 2009

Drawings and watercolours

I show you a selection of my first drawings and watercolours in the mid-90s. I hope you like them.



Fulica cristata (Red-knobbed Coot)
Watercolour, 29,7x42 cm.


I showed these works to Pablo Pereira by the time I was helping to save the birds after the toxic dumping in Aznalcóllar. He told me that healthy birds show uniform plumage, so uneven feathers were inadequate here.



Recurvirostra avosetta (Avocet),
Watercolour, 42x29,7 cm.


This one, apart from not having uniform plumage in the neck, has a bulky forehead and very curved beak. I intend painting this species again without making these errors.



Cuculus canorus (Common Cuckoo),
Watercolour, 29,7x42 cm.




Black-winged Stilt in its nest (Himantopus sp.),
Watercolour, 29,7x42 cm.


Pablo Pereira guided me in this watercolour. It shows uniform plumage, as he had previously indicated me, and he also told me the position of the species when incubating eggs. The idea came from a colleague of the group `Environmental Volunteers in Doñana´.



Carduelis carduelis (Goldfinch),
Colouring pencils, 29,7x42 cm.


I hope you like this entry. I want to send my regards to Pablo Pereira, an expert in animal morphology and artistic techniques. I consider him one of my masters. I remind him advising me to make life drawings or, in case I copied from a photograph, to have taken it myself. Since then, I have born it in mind.